Monday the 20th June sees the start of the annual Wimbledon Tennis Championship. To celebrate this iconic sporting event, SimplyLED will be applying an automatic discount of £5 to all orders over £50 placed through our online shop during the Wimbledon fortnight.
Keeping with our Wimbledon theme we’ll also be sending out a free packet of strawberries and cream sweets with every order.
And because everyone loves sweets we've decided to give away a large 3kg jar of assorted sweets to one of our Twitter followers (@SimplyLED). To be in with a chance of winning simply post or ‘retweet’ the following message via your Twitter account:
Discount & free sweets with all orders over £50 http://bit.ly/mBoFcK RT 4 chance 2 win big jar of sweets! #WIMBLEDONFIVER #Wimbledon
Now a Wimbledon themed post wouldn't be complete without a few interesting facts about the tournament, so here are a couple to get you started:
- This year’s tournament is expected to be better than ever with matches being played across 19 courts and a total prize fund of £14,600,000 being shared amongst the competitors.
- It’s expected that 8,615 punnets of strawberries will be consumed per day. That’s 28,000kg of strawberries over the tournament, served with approximately 7,000 litres of fresh cream.
- Last year coverage of the Championship was broadcast to 29.3 million viewers in the UK.
- 54,250 Slazenger tennis balls were used and the official Wimbledon iPhone app was downloaded 850,000 times.
- If Andy Murray where to win the Championship this year he'd become the first British Player to achieve this since Fred Perry in 1936.
Do you know any other interesting Wimbledon facts? If so please feel free to post them below.